Blog

  • Dec 18: Ghettoisation changing demography of rural Muzaffarnagar post riots

    http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-newdelhi/ghettoisation-changing-demography-of-rural-muzaffarnagar-post-riots/article5472349.ece Ghettoisation changing demography of rural Muzaffarnagar post riots SANDEEP JOSHI With at least six small colonies being built in the rural areas of Muzaffarnagar for settlement of riot-hit Muslims who have permanently left their villages out of fear of the dominant Jat community, ghettoisation, which was till now relevant in big cities, is the […]

  • Dec 17: Bangladesh Crisis

    http://www.countercurrents.org/muhammad161213.htm Bangladesh Crisis: Quest For People’s Power By Anu Muhammad Where does Bangladesh stand at the age of 42? In the month of victory, this year, everyday is marked by strike, blockade, hartal, killing, burning cars, buses and people. There are overflow of patients in the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH), the […]

  • विधानसभा चुनावों के नतीजे और भविष्य के संकेत

    ‘आप’ पार्टी की राजनीति के पीछे जो सुधारवादी और प्रतिक्रियावादी यूटोपिया है उन दोनों का तार्किक विकास समाज में फ़ासीवाद के समर्थन-आधार को विस्तारित करने की ओर ही जाता है। मान लें कि 2014 नहीं तो 2019 तक ‘आप’ पार्टी का बुलबुला न फूटे और वह एक राष्ट्रीय विकल्प बन जाये (जिसकी सम्भावना बेहद कम है) और वह सत्ता में भी आ जाये तो वह नवउदारवादी नीतियों को निरंकुश नौकरशाही और ‘पुलिस स्टेट’ के सहारे निरंकुश स्वेच्छाचारिता के साथ लागू करेगी। इसके सिवा और कुछ हो ही नहीं सकता क्योंकि मुनाफे की गिरती दर के जिस पूँजीवादी संकट ने आवर्ती चक्रीय क्रम में आने वाले मन्दी व दुष्चक्रीय निराशा के दौरों की जगह विश्व पूँजीवाद के असाध्य ढाँचागत संकट को जन्म दिया है वह नवउदारवाद की नीतियों और लगातार सिकुड़ते बुर्जुआ जनवाद के सर्वसत्तावाद की ओर बढ़ते जाने के अतिरिक्त अन्य किसी विकल्प की ओर ले ही नहीं जा सकता।

    The post विधानसभा चुनावों के नतीजे और भविष्य के संकेत appeared first on मज़दूर बिगुल.

  • Victory: Jacksonville activists win name change for Nathan B. Forrest High School

    Jacksonville, FL – With more than 50 activists and community members present, the Duval County School Board voted unanimously, Dec. 16, to change the name of Nathan Bedford Forrest High School. The historic vote by the school board comes at the end of a six-month campaign by the Jacksonville Progressive Coalition (JPC) and other forces to drop the local high school’s racist namesake.

    “We have to change the name of this school because this city can no longer honor a slave trader, war criminal and grand wizard of the KKK,” said Richard Blake, a Teamster and member of the JPC who spoke at the school board meeting before the vote. “The heritage of Nathan B. Forrest is not our heritage – it is that of the oppressor.”

    Superintendent Nikolai Vitti began the school board meeting by sharing the board’s findings in polling the community about the name change. A poll conducted last week by the school board at Forrest High School found that about 64% of the student body favored changing the name. He then made a recommendation to the board to change the school’s name, which was approved by every board member.

    Paula D. Wright, one of the school board members who spoke out in support of the name change, said, “We talk about what’s in a name. A name does matter because it can service the foundation of how we think of ourselves and how we move beyond the particular place we’re in at the time.” She shared with the board and the audience her own story of attending school and receiving second-class treatment as an African American student. “This moves our entire city towards equality and justice.”

    The campaign to rename Forrest High School drew hundreds of community activists together, who attended forums, gathered petitions and protested the school’s racist name. More than 160,000 people signed an online petition at change.org started by Jacksonville community activist Omotayo Richmond. The JPC spent months gathering more than 2000 hand-written community surveys, which overwhelmingly showed support for changing the name. Supporters of the name change also brought their energy and arguments to several town hall forums called by the school board, which pressured the board into changing the name.

    Forrest High School, named after the infamously racist slave trader and Confederate general Nathan B. Forrest, received its name in 1959. The United Daughters of the Confederacy chose the name as a stunt to protest the Supreme Court ruling in Brown v. Board of Education, which desegregated all-white schools throughout the country. To advance their racist agenda, they ignored the students’ vote to keep the school named Valhalla High School.

    The name Nathan Bedford Forrest is a blunt reminder of racist hatred, violence and terror. Forrest was a brutal slave trader, ordered the infamous Fort Pillow Massacre, and led the KKK. At Fort Pillow, Forrest’s troops executed hundreds of captured and surrendering Union soldiers, most of whom were African American, which Forrest bragged about in his military dispatches. The Daughters of the Confederacy chose the name to intimidate courageous African American civil rights activists, many of them teenagers, struggling for freedom.

    “Tonight was a historic blow to the racism of the Deep South,” said Fernando Figueroa, an activist with the JPC. “The neo-confederates who spoke in favor of Forrest saw the writing on the wall. We’re building the freedom struggle in Jacksonville star by star.”

    When Forrest High School opened in 1959, it was an all-white, segregated school. Today, 54% of the school’s approximately 1800 students are African-American.

    Jason Fischer, another school board member, concluded his remarks in support of the name change, saying, “We need to make today about honoring the future, which is our children.”

  • Rally demands justice for Corey Stingley

    West Allis, WI – Family and friends of Corey Stingley organized a rally outside VJ’s Food Mart, Dec. 15, where the 16-year-old was strangled by white vigilantes one year ago. Supporters demanded charges be filed against the people responsible for killing Stingley.

    In December 2012, three white adult vigilantes accused Stingley, who was Black, of theft and strangled him to death. A year later, no charges have been filed against the killers. A John Doe investigation produced a report containing “enough evidence for a conviction,” according to Stingley’s father Craig. Still, there has been no word from the Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm about pursuing charges.

    Activists are planning a call-in day to District Attorney Chisholm on December 30 to tell him that Corey Stingley deserves justice. “The decision to prosecute the killers lies entirely with Chisholm. We know if the race roles were reversed the killers would have faced trial and been locked up long ago,” said Hilary Wilson, a supporter of Corey Stingley.

    Contact Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm at 414-278-4646 or da.milwaukee@da.wi.gov

  • Where are we now? – Left Unity

    When the Conservative-led government took power in 2010 it was met by thousands of angry and active youth on the streets. There was a sense that the struggle against austerity was about to take off. Even when the movement subsided […]

    The post Where are we now? – Left Unity appeared first on AntiCapitalists.

  • Beyond the Fragments: the book’s relevance today

    In the second of our series of transcribed talks from the recent Beyond the Fragments eventSara Boyce looks at the lessons of the book today, asking how the left can move beyond its all-too-often white, male and middle class demographic and […]

    The post Beyond the Fragments: the book’s relevance today appeared first on AntiCapitalists.

  • Al Qaeda, Saudi Arabia and the Collapsing Free Syrian Army

    Democracy and Class Struggle publishes this video for information we do not endorse this video

  • Press statement on NGOisation of education

    SHIKSHA ADHIKAR MANCH, BHOPAL (Member, All India Forum for Right to Education) 13th December 2013 A Press Conference was organised by the Shiksha Adhikar Manch, Bhopal on 13th December 2013 on the issue of the increasingly alarming role of the internationally funded Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) and their state-funded counterparts in the educational system of the […]

  • Press statement on NGOisation of education

    SHIKSHA ADHIKAR MANCH, BHOPAL (Member, All India Forum for Right to Education) 13th December 2013 A Press Conference was organised by the Shiksha Adhikar Manch, Bhopal on 13th December 2013 on the issue of the increasingly alarming role of the internationally funded Non-Government Organisations (NGOs) and their state-funded counterparts in the educational system of the […]